Re: compiling 1 unstable package on testing

Quoting "Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina"
<mihamina.rakotomandimby@etu.univ-orleans.fr>:

Hello,

I have a testing box, but on a sparc arch.
The mldonkey package is only found in unstable and only for x86 and some
others but no sparc.

I would like to build a testing package for my testing sparc box
I would like to modify the sources.list file to do that.

Do you think the best way is to append this:

deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ unstable mldonkey
deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ unstable mldonkey

to my sources.list, and then just 'apt-get -b source mldonkey' ?
would you suggest another way?

What you suggest has the potential to pull in many packages if you install the
binary package.  If you get the source package and all the dependencies are
not versioned or are in Sarge, the dpkg-buildpackage script will take care of
building the binary pacakge for you.  If not, you want to look at the sbuild
package, which will automate the source dependency checking for you (say, if
you want to build Woody packages on Sarge, or vice versa).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr