Re: DisplaySize ignored?

Brian Potkin wrote:
The FAQ in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common deals with how to change the
dpi value used by the X server and gives a list of scripts to alter.
Could it be you have not done this correctly and the dpi setting in,
say, /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc is overriding your DisplaySize setting?

I was forgetting to remove the "-dpi 100" setting from xserverrc. Now it works.

Alternatively, you may want to examine whether the GTK apps you use
depend on libgtk1.2 or libgtk2.0.  It is my experience that those that
depend on libgtk1.2, for example, dillo and gentoo, ignore the
DisplaySize line in XF86Config-4 whereas firefox and gvim, which depend
on libgtk2.0, do not.  Why this is so I have no idea but neither have I
put much effort yet into discovering why.

Probably due to the fact that GTK 1.2 uses core fonts and GTK 2.x uses Xft/fontconfig.

Actually, what I did to alter the menu and dialogue fonts was to create
the files $HOME/.gtkrc and $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 for libgtk1.2 and libgtk2.0
dependent applications respectively.  In the first one I have

	style "default"
	{
	fontset="-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--20-*-*-*-*-*-*"
	}
	class "*" style "default"

and in the second

	gtk-font-name = "Helvetica 14"