Re: Eclipse: X eats up 280 MB of memory

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 10:11 +0200, hjvm@freenet.de wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using KDE, six virtual desktops and a two-head setup with two
> screens of 1280x1024 resolution. When my machine is started top
> shows that X takes about 40 MB of memory. That seems normal to
> me. But when I start Eclipse X eats 280 MB of memory. Is this normal?
> Together with some other applications my 512 MB of RAM are full and
> it uses 890 MB of Swap!
> I'd rather like not to buy another 512 MB RAM just for Eclipse... Is there
> a chance to reduce the memory consumption? Are others experiencing
> similar effects?

When the java-vm starts up (such as when you launch Eclipse) it
allocates a good chunk of memory for itself. It doesn't USE it all, but
it does allocate it which is why you see it showing up in top. If you
use Eclipse a lot, I would recommend starting Eclipse with AT LEAST 256
MB allocated to it (using the -Xmx256M flag) for best performance.

This also means that you should upgrade to a total of 768 MB of RAM or
more. With how cheap RAM is nowadays though, I'd say just throw another
512 MB in there and be done with it.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837