.bash_profile not sourced on login

Dear all,

For some reason, my .bash_profile is not sourced on login. I tried different users, and all have the same problem. I'm running a very recent installation of Sarge (updated).

--------------
debian[~]% cat .bash_profile
# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples

umask 022

# the rest of this file is commented out.

# include .bashrc if it exists

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    source ~/.bashrc
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists

#if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
#    PATH="~/bin:${PATH}"
#fi

# for correct cedilla
#export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export GTK_IM_MODULE=cedilla

debian[~]% echo $GTK_IM_MODULE

debian[~]% . .bash_profile
debian[~]% echo $GTK_IM_MODULE
cedilla

debian[~]% ls -l .bash_profile
-rw-r--r--  1 finotti finotti 529 2005-05-08 14:26 .bash_profile
debian[~]%

I Googled a little and looked at man pages from bash, but I could not find anything. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Best to all,

Luis