Re: broadband question

On Sunday 08 May 2005 20:17, Peter Klauer wrote:
> auto dummy0
> iface dummyo0 inet static
>           address 192.168.1.10
>           netmask 255.255.255.0
>           network 192.168.1.0
>           broadcast 192.168.1.1
>           gateway 192.168.1.1

OK.  You still haven't actually said what you're trying to fix: what went
wrong with the install, what you want to go back and change, etc.

But I'm guessing that everything's OK, except that your network isn't set up.
In that case, you could try removing the above lines
from /etc/network/interfaces, and replaing them with these:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Use the command nano /etc/network/interfaces, delete the lines with control-k,
and save then quit using control-x.

When you've done that, run:

  /etc/init.d/networking restart

and then try to use the internet somehow.  If it doesn't work, and networking
is indeed what you're REALLY trying to solve (ie, not some side issue), then
you should post any steps you took, error messages you get, and what you
hoped to see instead of errors.  That way, we'll have a much better idea of
the problem, and won't need to waste your time with guesswork.

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.