Re: C-Media 8738 ALSA problems

alsa itself is the problem. I had tried versions 1.0.6 and 1.0.8 on fedora core 3 and while alsa could raise the speaker volume fine attempts to play a wav file with play /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav and aplay -q /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav both resulted in absolute silence. alsa is a security program, it's absolutely secure. I still have 2.4-27 around and am going to put that on and eventually try to get gnopernicus talking. Can't do it without a working sound card though.