Re: package search

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 06:54:34PM -0100, David Roguin wrote:
> maybe you should use
> apt-cache search image editor

well, it wasn't me, but Frederico, who reported the problem -- so
I'm replying to the list...

> On 5/7/05, Almut Behrens <almut_behrens@gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 04:07:16PM -0400, Frederico Rodrigues Abraham wrote:
> > > http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages
> > >
> > > Search package directories

> > > hit search:
> > >
> > > http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=image+editor&searchon=all&subword=1&version=testing&release=main
> > > Error: keyword not valid or missing
> >
> > I think it generally doesn't allow multiple search terms...
> > Actually, if you read carefully, it says "Keyword" (without plural s).

OK, have to admit I overlooked the OP was trying to search on package
_descriptions_ (maybe I should read more carefully myself... ;)

In fact, it would make sense to be able to search for the single keyword
"image editor" (including the spaces) within the descriptions...

As to using "apt-cache search ...":  I think, when having a web front
end to search for packages, it should provide about equal functionality
to the commandline tool.  Sometimes people may want to do a search from
a non-debian box -- at least I occasionally found myself in the need to
do so from my SuSE box at work...

Almut