Re: Man command unresponsive

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 01:53:39AM -0700, Matthew Schultz wrote:
> When I type man and nothing else I get "What manual page do you want?"
> so the command is there and working I would deduce. However when I type
> "man ls" or any other command, there is no output at all. I've seached
> google groups but found nothing to help point me in the right direction.
> I'm running Debian 3.0 Stable.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Matthew Schultz

Is the PAGER variable set to /usr/bin/less or some other command that
works?  If you type "man -w ls", do you get a file name, and does that
file exist?  If all else fails, you might try reinstalling the
man command with "apt-get install man-db". (I'm not using 3.0 anymore,
so I'm not quite sure if man-db is the correct package name).
If you are using a German locale, you might also need the manpages-de
package.

--
QOTD:
	 "It's not the despair... I can stand the despair.  It's the hope."