Re: wireless card for a laptop

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 11:04 -0700, dbp lists wrote:
> Any reccomendations for what works well for a wireless card for a laptop?
> >From my web searching, I've come up with two candidates: the Netgear
> WG511  and the Hawking HWC54G.
>
> Actually - any general advice at all on running debian on a laptop
> would be appreciated.  (woody vs sarge  vs sid).  Kernel 2.4 vs 2.6.
> It's a Thinkpad 570E (PIII, 500MHz) that is arriving in the mail next
> week.
>
> I'm thinking about maybe using another distribution, if necessary.

FWIW:

I have an 'old' Dell C600. It does quite well with an 802.11b Orinoco
PCMCIA card and an Apple AirPort AP (there's a Mac to configure the
AirPort). If I understand correctly, it's the chipset that really
matters, and this one is Lucent.

I tried several times to get Woody running on it, and it almost worked
once. The current Sarge netinstall worked very well. It's runs Ubuntu
now (essentially Sid, I think -- 2.6 kernel, optimized for the desktop),
and does your standard laptop things very nicely (compiling, serving,
databasing, audio processing, etc. are all on towers running Sarge or
DeMuDi).

I've put Fedora on it, but since I use one flavor or another of Debian
everywhere else, I settled on Ubuntu. Besides, I trust the Debian
developers more. And there's always apt/rpm...

Enjoy your Thinkpad. And stick with Debian. It works (at 5000 feet
elevation, anyway :-)

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com