Re: starting vim in non-gui mode under woody

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 03:56:28PM +0930, David Purton wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 12:24:58PM +0930, David Purton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just installed vim-gtk under woody and now when I run vim - it runs
> > the gui version. How can I set things up so that cim runs the console
> > version and gvim runs the gui version? Under sid, it seems to work as
> > expected, and I can't figure out how to change this behaviour.
> >

> sorry - typo - cim should be vim. I only want the gtk version running if
> I specify gvim (or vim -g).

Ah - some more info.

vim does in fact run terminal mode, but here is the problem:

I connect to this machine from a windows box with putty. I use X11
forwarding so that I can start the cygwin X server if I need to run
anything for X. Normally I don't bother to start the Cygwin X server,
since I only occasionally need it.

When I run vim, with out the X server running, it still tries to connect
to the forwarded X server because $DISPLAY is set. Of couse it fails,
but it is not falling back to the terminal version, it just dies.

The version in sid definitely does not have this problem.

Perhaps my only option will be to alias vim to "vim -X". Or wait in
anticipation for sarge to finish freezing and upgrade :)

Any other suggestions?

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a