Re: apt-get deprecated?

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 12:59:21AM +0200, Wim De Smet wrote:
[...]
> answer as I see it  is this. When starting aptitude, aptitude updates
> its own packages list by reading in the dpkg state and merging it with
> its own list.
>
> Now there's several bugs posted on aptitude (check bugs.debian.org)
> about its command line interface. Apparently, this loading of the
> package cache doesn't happen completely or reliably in command line
> mode, resulting in aptitude not knowing about any packages you
> installed with apt-get, or manually set to hold with dpkg (and not
> with aptitude). Running aptitude and going in the curses interface
> should be a reliable workaround.

Oh, thank you for clarifying that.  I've seen various threads on the
apt-get/aptitude problem, but never met any problem myself.  I usually
use aptitude running in the curses interface, and only occasionally do
'apt-get install somepackage'.  By luck I've avoided aptitude in CL, and
that has evidently saved me from blundering into another quagmire.

--
richard