Font problem

Hi all!

	I've strange problem with Verdana font from msttcorefonts. I can use
this font in Gnome applications, but when it is enabled in font.conf,
gdm crashes on strartup with this message:

Pango-WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Verdana

after commenting out Verdana, everything works fine (and Verdana is
still available for applications :) )

The second problem is that I can't use some fonts in Gnome applications
(i.e. xfonts-dosemu, terminus). I suspect, that problem is generally
related to bitmap fonts.
Should I enable them in some special way ?

thanks in advance

Jarek