Re: migrating from RedHat to Debian without losing configuration

Apparently, _Glenn English_, on 05/03/2005 02:35 PM,typed:
On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 13:02 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Some are standard (like the /etc/passwd, and so on).

Even for those though, things like UIDs for daemons etc. differ.

And from RH7.3 to Debian Sarge, the UIDs for users change dramatically,
too (from 500+ to 1000+).

Yes. I triple boot between Windows XP, Debian Sarge and FC2. When I first installed Debian and was already running Redhat 8.0, I faced the trouble of accessing one home directory from the other because of different UIDs in Redhat and Sarge. After a system reinstall, I just created FC2 users with explicit UIDs starting from 1000, the same as in Debian (I kept /home different for both).

Wonder what number the "standard" UID's start with? 500, 1000, ...???

(Remove all underscores,if any, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.)