protecting/preventing a package from being removed?

Can I prevent/protect a package from being accidentally removed? By
'accident' I mean answering Yes in apt-get remove prompt or just
clicking Apply in synaptic without realizing that an important package
is being removed. For example, I want to prevent mysql-server (which
depends on mailx) from being removed when mailx is accidentally tried to
be removed. So what I want is that for apt to refuse uninstalling mailx,
because a 'protected' package (mysql-server) depends on it.

Is there something I can write in /etc/apt/preferences? I haven't found
a way to accomplish that. Pinning and locking version in synaptic don't
do this.

Regards,
dave