"write" another user on the same computer

When I log into friends computers, I'd like to pass along message(s) to
them, to help the trouble shooting of their computer.

I've been looking at "write", but that doesn't really work when my
friends are using KDM, and they all do.

When I type "who", I get something like;

perk     :0           Apr 30 07:11
rodney   pts/14       May  2 15:07

I'm on "pts/14" ssh'd into my friends computer.

The syntax for write is;

write user [tty]

How would I "write" to perk?

--