Re: localhost vanished

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:07:39 +0530
Joydeep Bakshi <hizibizi@spymac.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 28 Apr 2005 6:43 pm, Kent West wrote:
> > Jpydeep Bakshi wrote:
> > >I have just checked  *ping 127.0.0.1* and have found  *network
> > > unreachable*
> >
> > What does "/etc/network/interfaces" look like?
> >
> > enjae[westk]:/home/westk> cat /etc/network/interfaces
> > # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8),
> > # ifdown(8)
> >
> > # The loopback interface
> > # automatically added when upgrading
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
>
> I have the above lines in my /etc/network/interfaces
> >
> > # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
> > installation/etc/network/interfaces
> > # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
> > # automatically added when upgrading
> > auto eth0
> > #iface eth0 inet static
> > #       address 192.168.123.2
> > #       netmask 255.255.255.0
> > #       network 192.168.123.0
> > #       broadcast 192.168.123.255
> > #       gateway 192.168.123.1
> >
> > iface eth0 inet dhcp

Are you getting any output when you run "ifconfig"? If nothing, probably
your Ethernet card is not being detected. A module for your card should
be found in /etc/modules. If it's not and you don't know the name of the
module, try this:

   dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

That assumes you have etherconf installed (very likely). If not, then:

   apt-get install etherconf

Also check to make sure /etc/init.d/networking is installed with correct
permissions (it starts networking, and should be there unless it somehow
got accidentally deleted):

   ls -l /etc/init.d/networking
   -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2633 Jan 27 08:16 /etc/init.d/networking

cheers,
Robert