Tab completion i Debian and Knoppix

Hi all!
I recently did a reinstall of debian unstable from scratch on my computer, before that I ran debian unstable but installed from knoppix. There is a feature that I really miss, and I think its a configuration error on my part but Im not sure. When using bash I could do: latex <tab> an a list of all *.tex files would circle, when I do that now all files are listed, this wasnt just latex, it worked with dpkg, xdvi, dvips and a lot of other programs.

Does anyone have any pointers where I can get more info on enabling that again?

Thanks
/nisse