Re: sarge apt and init daemons

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 10:18 -0400, Phil Dyer wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I've noticed an odd behavior with apt.
> If I install a daemon, say freeradius, and decide I don't want it to run
> for whatever reason - I do an update-rc.d -f freeradius remove. Also of
> course /etc/init.d/freeradius stop.
>
> I don't want to uninstall it, I just don't want it to run right now. But
> after an apt-get upgrade, if freeradius is updated it will start it
> during the setup process.
>
> Is this the right behavior? Am I missing something?

It's the right behavior, IMHO.

The debian post install script probably doest go through the rc.*
directories looking for runlevel entries since these are all just
symlinks to a script in /etc/init.d/. All that it probably checks for is
that the /etc/init.d/<whatever> script exists and is executable. Then,
on the assumption that its generally a good idea to stop and start
daemons when upgrading them, it does so.

If you want to keep updates from starting the daemon, just chmod 644 it.

-davidc