Re: dpkg purges on 'remove'

martin f krafft wrote:
> I just noticed a strange behaviour on `dpkg --remove`, which is not
> really harmful, but I am curious and would like to know whether this
> is a bug, a feature, both, or just myself on crack.
>
> A package such as eject, which provides no files in /etc, will be
> purged when dpkg is told only to remove it:
>
> wing:~# dpkg -L eject | grep /etc
> wing:~# dpkg -l eject | grep eject
> ii  eject          2.0.3-1        ejects CDs and operates CD-Changers under Li
> wing:~# dpkg -r eject
> (Reading database ... 83044 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing eject ...
> wing:~# dpkg -l eject | grep eject
> pn  eject          <none>         (no description available)

IIRC the criteria for this are actually:

 1. No conffiles in the package.
 2. No postrm script in the package.

Since purging consists only of running postrm purge and deleting
conffiles, a package that meets these criteria does not need anything
done to be purged, so removing it sets its state to purged.

--
see shy jo