way to output spreadsheets to postscript or PDF programmatically

I'd like to programmatically produce printable (PDF? Postscript?) spreadsheet-style output of database queries with these characteristics:

* line borders around cells
* customized header and footer
* first row should be repeated on each page
* preferably, auto-sizing of columns, but not required

I found ReportLab, which looks excellent and feature-ful, but unfortunately I don't know Python and haven't succeeded in my pathetic struggles yet. Maybe I haven't come across the right examples .... I've seen an OpenOffice API, but it doesn't have enough features to do this. Are there any other options? I prefer programming in Perl (I'm pulling data from a PostgreSQL database with a Perl script).

Thanks,
Kevin