KDM/X hangs on 64 bit debian

I just installed the 64 bit port of debian, via the sid net install, onto a new partition. I am having problems with X and KDM.log gives me 'Null image' errors for QImage. Googling suggests that this error means something else is using the monitor, and running the Nvidia Installer says that a current X session is running and exits. I've tried kill -9 -1 without success.

The only thing I can think of that may be causing this is that I am using the same /home directory as my 32 bit debian sarge uses, could this be the problem? If so how do I change the /home directory of the 64 bit installation?

TIA

Wackojacko