Re: Kernel choices

On 2005-04-29, Stephen R Laniel penned:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:50:43PM -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>> Anyway, I'd be surprised if there were such a package, because it
>> seems like most people who want the computer to do it for them will
>> just use the stock kernel, and most people who don't mind compiling
>> their own kernel probably don't mind playing with the config.  But
>> maybe I'm wrong and there's a decently-sized population that wants
>> to have their cake and eat it too.
>
> I'd like to toss in a little self-defense here, because having "the
> computer ... do it for them" is so un-Debian, and I'd hate to be
> thought of as un-Debian. :-)

Oh ... well, I don't think there's any self-defense needed in this
case =)  I didn't mean to suggest it's somehow "wrong" to want both
flexibility and some automation; I just wonder if there is enough of a
desire for that kind of tool to actually result in its creation and
maintenance.

> I think there is a nice little niche in there. We want all the
> aesthetic pleasure that you were talking about, so we want a trim
> kernel. But every time we get a new machine (not that I buy many of
> them, by the way -- people give me castoffs that I throw together
> into Apache servers), we don't want to have to go through a really
> laborious
> configure-compile-reboot-see-that-it-didn't-boot-properly-try-again
> loop. Especially not when the hardware that we're running on is so
> old. I'd like *some* of this process to be automated.  But maybe
> that's just me.

Is the hardware in question really so different from machine to
machine that configuring the kernel requires more than a tweak or two
to some pre-existing configuration?  The only time I've really hit a
snag is when upgrading my server from an ancient Intel CPU to a
less-ancient Athlon.  I had to recompile the kernel for that, but
distcc relieved much of the pain caused by ancient hardware.

Maybe my hardware is just a lot more conventional than the stuff
you're seeing.  Or maybe my concept of a lean kernel is still bloated
compared to yours =)

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: