Re: Recommended Backup/Restore Tools for Newbie

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 02:41:44PM -0400, Parker, Matthew wrote:

> I'm a relative newbie who has just installed Debian (Woody) on 5
> servers: 2 Firewalls, an Apache/TWiki server, a file server, and a
> workstation w/ Gnome. I'm looking for a solution to backup these systems
> (and also the data on the file server.)

You haven't specified what your backup media is going to be. For tape
backups, I am having good success with bacula; it's especially nice for
its scheduling features and handling contention for our single tape
drive.

I have also had to do real-world restores with it (e.g., when an entire
partition got trashed), and it was easy and flawless. It also supports
"bare-metal" restores (it calls them bootstrap restores).

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA