SATA not detected

I have an Intel MB with 2.8Ghz P4. I recently added SATA drives to my
system but fedora, RH and Debian all fail to recognize it. I upgraded
to fedora core2 but still it doesn't detect. Booting thru knoppix
detects it alright though. Is it the kernel or some module in the 2.6
kernel that is the problem? If it's a module, do I need to recompile
or could I use a precompiled kernel and which one?

Also, what is the equivalent of the modconf command in debian, in RH and fedora?

Regards,
Geek