Re: Help Please: Network Down

Maurits van Rees <maurits@vanrees.org> wrote:
> Hi Marc.
>
> I'm not an expert, but at least I have a routing table that
> functions. :)
>
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 07:49:39PM +0000, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > desktop computer:
> >=20
> > Kernel IP routing table
> > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use I=
> face
> > localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 e=
> th0
> > default         mareschal       0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 e=
> th0
>
> Seems fine to me. I wonder if 'localnet' and 'mareschal' need to be
> specified with their IP addresses though. Are these two values defined
> anywhere?

localnet is defined in /etc/networks
mareschal is defined in /etc/hosts

> > gateway computer:
> >=20
> > Kernel IP routing table
> > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use I=
> face
> > 192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 e=
> th0
>
> This part seems fine, though I would expect to see a line for outside
> addresses as well. But I don't have a gateway computer myself, just an
> off the shelf modem/router, so I can't really comment here.

Outside addresses are going through pppd.  I only have a dial-up connection.

>From either box attemps to ping the other, or run traceroute to the other box are unsuccessful.

I thought that maybe something had been messed up with a firewall, somewhere, but that does not seem to be the case.  The gateway box (mareschal) is running ipchains, but nothing has changed with that since it was set up years ago.  Xander (the desktop) has iptables on it, but nothing is entered beyond the default ACCEPT.

I would really appreciate any help that can be provided.  Using a web interface for e-mail on a Windoze laptop is driving me crazy.

--
Marc Shapiro