Re: dpkg problems with own compiled kernel

> Hmm,
> You have a 2.4.27 already installed.
> Now, you're trying to get a customized 2.4.27 installed.
yes, there is allready a customized version of the kernel installed, trying to
replace it...

> Now, this is what I think:
> See the error msg mentioning /lib/modules/2.4.27 .... it means that
> it's trying to install the modules into the 2.4.27 tree which was
> installed during the last kernel build you did.
normally there is a nice text displaying that a /lib/modules/2.4.27 directory
exist and ask the user to remove it or continue any way. I normally just
remove the directory without any troubles...

> I would try something like this - "make-kpkg
> --append-to-version=04252005 kernel_image modules_image" as this will
> lead to a /lib/modules/2.4.27.04252005 or something of the sort.

I tried another way that worked :

1) restored the /lib/modules/2.4.27 directory
2) uninstalled lm-sensors-2.4.27 and i2c-2.4.27
3) removed /lib/modules/2.4.27
4) now installed the custom kernel-image without problems

I did notice one thing, the file that dpkg is complaining about never existed
in the old directory, but for some reasons dpkg gets happy after removed the
i2c-2.4.27 package. bug or a feature? :-)

Best regards
    Martin