Re: discover not finding CDROM

  --received from H. S.--

> Apparently, _Paul Yeatman_, on 22/04/05 22:13,typed:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've been running Sarge with a 2.4 kernel and just decided to go up to
> >a 2.6 kernel.  The first and only problem I've noticed is that
> >"discover" isn't finding my cdrom devices (one a dvd player).  As Gnome
> >doesn't find and mount an inserted CD anymore, I'm assuming this is
> >related.
> >
> >As shown with a 'dmesg', the devices are there
> >
> >	hdc: OPTORITECD-RW CW5201, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> >	hdd: Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-106S 010, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> >
> >and I can manually use them as usual to read and write CD's.
> >
> >This is what discover finds (or doesn't find)
> >
> >	# discover cdrom
> >	# discover all
> >	Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) 746 Host
> >	Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO]
> >	Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
> >	Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) 5513 [IDE]
> >	Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) Sound Controller
> >	Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) USB 1.0 Controller
> >	Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) USB 1.0 Controller
> >	Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) USB 2.0 Controller
> >	Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SG86C202
> >	NVIDIA Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]
> >
> >I don't care so much about discover as much as that things don't
> >seem to be running as usual under Gnome.  CD's are not automatically
> >mounted when inserted, "cdrom0" is shown under the icon instead of the
> >actual volume name, etc.
> >
> >Thanks!

Hello and thanks!

Answers to your questions...

> If you could answer a few questions, we might narrow down where your
> problem really is:
> 1) What are the relevant contents of /etc/fstab that you have?

/dev/cdrom0     /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/cdrom1     /media/cdrom1   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

> 2) What are the mount points that you use to access /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd?

I believe this is indicated in the answer to the first question unless I"m not understanding your question.

> 3) Are you in the 'cdrom' group?

Yes!

> 4) What are the permissions of /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd?

brw-rw----  1 root disk 22,  0 Apr 29  2004 /dev/hdc
brw-rw----  1 root disk 22, 64 Apr 29  2004 /dev/hdd

Ah, so this is interesting.  Under kernel 2.4, I was using scsi
emulation for the IDE cdrom devices.  Thus the /dev/scd? entries are in
group 'cdrom'.  /dev/hd[cd], currently, are not, however.  This seems
it should be changed.  I would anticipate that 'discover' would do this
auto"magically" if it found the cdrom devices yet, as already stated,
it does not.

> 5) What are the contents of /media?

# ls  /media/
cdrom  floppy  floppy0  sophos_server

I put the "sophos_server" mount point here.  All others I believe
were part of the Gnome or otherwise installation.  There are no
cdrom[01] mount point directories here (as there used to be under
kernel 2.4) yet this seems to be a symptom of the fact that 'discover'
does not find the devices.  I can manually create such directories but
this doesn't seem to solve anything (and such manual entries may be
getting deleted upon each reboot by 'discover').

I deleted these directories before doing the 'ls' to show what was
there before beginning to futz around (and upon first boot into
2.6).

> 6) Do you have hal, hotplug, dbus-1, gnome-volume-manager installed?
> What versions?

# dpkg -l hal hotplug dbus-1 gnome-volume-manager
pn  hal            <none>         (no description available)
ii  hotplug        0.0.20040329-2 Linux Hotplug Scripts
ii  dbus-1         0.23.4-1       simple interprocess messaging system
pn  gnome-volume-m <none>         (no description available)

Hmmm, it seems gnome-volume-manager would be responsible for mounting
the CD's upon insertion although apparently not installed.  Even with
it "purged" I have the preference configuration GUI to specify whether
to have inserted CD's mounted or not.  If gnome-volume-manager was
recentinly uninstalled for some reason, this would explain things
although I'm not convinced it was ever installed.

Thanks, again.

Just a note that things were working fine and as desired under kernel
2.4, ie. everything seemed to be in place . . . I was in cdrom group,
correct entries were in fstab, mount points existed, things were
automounting (by Gnome not autofs).  Going to 2.6, scsi emulation of
IDE cdrom devices doesn't seem to be the same (not available...? ...at
least not by 2.6.8) so that is a change as well as 'discover' no longer
finding the cdrom devices itself.

Paul