Re: Realy Queer Sound Problem - Solved

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 04:48:56PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 05:11:59PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> >
> > --- "Thomas H. George" <xyz@spininternet.com> wrote:
> > > I have reposted this message as the original did not appear in list
> > > after 18 hours.
> >
> > Sure it did.  Patience _is_ a virtue, you know.
>
> The reposting and your reply appeared but the original has never
> appeared in my mail.
> >
> > > the exception is when a music cd is played from /dev/cdrom (link to
> > > hdc).  Then there is no sound.  The programs run and shows that they are
> >
> > > reading the cd but there is no sound.
> >
> > The only thing I can suggest is that your CDROM drive on /dev/hdc doesn't
> > have an audio cable running from the CD to the audio card.  Most CD
> > players (especially in windows) will perform Digitial Audio Extraction as
> > an alternative method.  Certainly, 'xmms' can be told to do say, as can
> > the console-based cdplayer 'lazy'.
> >
> There is an audio cable from the CD to the audio card.  What's more, the
> CD was able to play an audio cd with sound with Sarge and ALSA until my
> experiment with xcdroast.  That's why I called this a really queer sound
> problem.
>
> I have used less /proc/ide/hd?/... to look at capacity, driver, media
> and settings for hdc and hdd and have found no differences.

The solution was simple.  The question about the audio cable made me
shift my focus from the the cdrom drive to the sound card.  There are in
fact two audio cables, one from the cdrom drive and one from the cdrw
dirve, to the Soundblaster Live! audio card, one connected to cd in and
the other to aux in.  Searching the extensive settings available in the
Soundblaster Live! [ALSA Mixer] - many more that I know how to use - I
found one for Aux which was set to mute.  It was also set to zero gain
for one channel and max gain for the other channel although lock was on
and should have made the gain for the two channels identical.  In
addition it was set to record.  With these settings corrected the
problem was solved.

Perhaps this should have been obvious at the start but I frequently work
from a console using setmixer which does show a setting for Aux.

In conclusion, I would recommend caution in using xcdroast without scsi
simulation.  The program complained of the lack of scsi emulation and
took a long time looking for the cdrom drive.  For all I know it made
other changes in the myriad of settings available for the Soundblaster
Live! audio card.

Tom George