Re: CD ripping suddenly produces garbage

On Monday 25 April 2005 01:34, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> I've tried to rip several different CDs, some of which I've successfully
> ripped in the past.  No joy.  I get the same result with each of my two CD
> drives, and whether I use k3b, audiocd:/ in konqueror, or cdparanoia to do
> the ripping.

I'd suggest reading the changelogs for your ripping software, and for the
Linux CD driver, and your soundcard, if the CD is ripped through it.  Perhaps
something has switched from digital ripping to analogue ripping, or vice
versa.  I expect there are a number of other possibilities, too.

> <gripe>
> I am totally fed up and frustrated with CD drives in Linux.  I'm constantly
> having to screw with them to get them to work correctly.  They work for a
> while, then suddenly they won't play right, won't eject, won't rip, won't
> burn.  It's a f****** pain in the ass.
> </gripe>

Personally, I've never had any trouble with CDs at all, except back before IDE
CD standards, when I was just getting started with Linux and misunderstood
something.  You might also want to check if your CD drives have updated
firmware available, or if they're just flaky, etc.   CDRWs have been a bit
more troublesome, but again, reading the docs helped a lot.  Mostly, it just
works for me.

--
Lee.