esd hanging

I've got a problem with esd hanging in certain circumstances but not others. After a reboot, if I immediately log in to gnome esd starts properly and gnome plays its start-up sound. However, after that no further sounds are ever played. esd continues to run but is non-responsive. If I kill esd and restart it, either as a user or as root, the restart hangs.

After a reboot if instead I switch to a virtual console and start esd (using my normal user account), and then switch back to Gnome and log in, then subsequent sound events work properly.

I've done many Google searches and seen various messages about esd hangs and corresponding solutions. I've done everything suggested in those messages but to no avail. My user account is in the audio group. /dev/dsp and all the devices in /dev/snd are root:audio. When I start esd with my user account, the /tmp/.esd/socket is created as <user>:<user>.

Does anybody have an idea what might be happening or what I might to do diagnose or fix?

Thanks for any help,

Chuck