Re: Help Please: Network Down

On 24 Apr 2005 at 12:42, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> As of yesterday (April 24) my home network has stopped working.  It WAS working the day before.  I am running Sarge and I did do an upgrade.  I don't remember seeing anything that I would expect to affect the network, but I also don't remember just what it did say was being upgraded.
> I am no longer able to ssh between my two boxes.
> Although my gateway box will dial in to my ISP if I access it directly, it does not pass anything on to my desktop box.
> The gateway box is running Woody and has not been upgraded within the timeframe of this problem.
> Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes. I installed Sarge on a Laptop and sometimes the network goes down randomly. At
least, I can't figure out why.

> Any ideas on how to fix this will be appreciated.  I am sending this from a Windows laptop and would like to get back to my desktop machine.
> The error that I receive from ssh, /etc/hosts, and output from dmesg from my desktop box follow:
> mns@xander:~$ ssh mareschal
> ssh: connect to host mareschal port 22: No route to host
> mns@xander:~$
This is exactly my error message. I think it can have several reasons. In my case it's the
firewire card (eth1) that takes over the network card (eth0), I don't know how this
happens. But in my case the fix is relatively easy. I do as root
ifconfig

Something like eth0 or eth1 should show up. If you have a Protocol:UNSPEC
something is wrong. You can try a combination of

ifconfig eth1 down (if this is the wrong card) and then
ifconfig eth0 up (if this is the right card).

Basically, you switch the card "off" with down and the other card "on" with up. Of course,
you choose the appropriate device name for your computer, but eth1 or eth0 should do
and you can try to switch your card on and off.
Even if this doesn't help you should post the result of ifconfig so that others might help
you.

Regards,
Hans-Joerg v. Mettenheim