Re: Dmesg garbage after kernel recompile

On 2005-04-22, Unknown penned:

> I'm trying to compile from the 2.4 series (actually 2.4.27, but I
> tried some older ones too), with gcc-3.4 (some older versions were
> tried too like 3.3, 2.95) on sarge (kept regularly up-to-date).
>
> I'm having a lot of other machines, some running woody, some sarge,
> but this problem comes to life only under sarge, woody compiles just
> right.
>
> Thanks in advance Bye Tylla.

What about sharing some of the dmesg output, so we can take a look?

What are the differences between your configuration and the stock
config?  What version of 2.4.27 are you using?  Are any of the
machines able to boot from a stock Debian kernel, and if so, what
happens?  Are you getting the kernel source from a debian package or
from kernel.org?  You mention having several machines; do you have a
sacrificial machine you could install from scratch?

As an aside, I wonder why you're using Sarge?  Sarge = testing = not
intended as a user system; it would more accurately be described as
the integration phase of the Debian development cycle.  (Hey, we've
been looking for a word better than "testing" for forever -- what do
you guys think about "integration"?)  It's not necessarily a middle
ground between the stability of stable and the potential brokenness of
unstable.  Things can stay broken in testing a lot longer than they can
in sid.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: