Re: Serving a multifunction printer

On Thursday 17 March 2005 12:01 am, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Thursday 17 March 2005 02:04, Colin Ingram wrote:
> > I have a multifunction HP printer, a Debian sarge server/gateway, and
> > some windows XP clients who would like print/scan access.  I can set up
> > printing but I don't know about scanner.  Is there some Debian software
> > which could facilitate passing data over a lan from a scanner to a
> > windows program.  This would obviously require both server and client
> > software.  Alternatively, I have a KVM switch with a usb port.
>
> Assuming you've got the actual scanning working on Linux, why not just drop
> the scanned files into a folder on the server where windows can access it
> over the network?  If security is an issue, you could have them login and
> run the scanning software, which would then dump the images to their home
> directory or something.
>
> --
> Lee.

The "Sane" system will provide network access for linux boxes.  There is some
development for sane under windows.  I don't know much about it though.

From the SANE FAQ:  http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljm/SANE-faq.html#18

2.12. How can I access a SANE backend from Windows through the network ?

This is a work in progress. A Windows TWAIN to SANE translator exists. From
the sane developing mailing list, here is an announce from Arun Tanksali:
"A simple but functional interface (WinSANE) is available for download. I have
tested with a Mustek 1200 scanner. Tested with Win 95/98 PCs. Seems to work
OK. "

Download site: http://http://www.winsane.cx/

There exist a SANE to TWAIN bridge. People tell me it's easy to use.
ftp://ftp.mostang.com/pub/sane/twain-to-sane-bridge.tar.gz

Also, you can use sanecgi which wraps the text based frontend (scanimage) into
a cgi perl script. For a running demo, try http://www.boutell.com/sanecgi/

Oliver Rauch made a Windows-version of Xsane. http://www.xsane.org

Eric Brown