Re: problems with upgrade

On 4/22/05, Christian Christmann <plfriko@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since a couple of days I get this message
> when trying to upgrade my Sarge box:

The problem is:
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/debconf.postinst: line 84:  5905 Segmentation fault      $PYTHON -O /usr/lib/$PYTHON/compileall.py -q $i
which doesn't look good. Maybe your .deb got corrupted or it's a bug
in the package. The problem being that debconf is kind off an
important package of course.

Firstly, trying:
apt-get install --reinstall debconf
should relayout a lot off stuff. But not sure if that would work

otherwise try:
apt-get clean
dpkg --force-depends --remove debconf
apt-get install debconf
should remove debconf and download and install a new package. Note
however that because of the "apt-get clean" you will loose all cached
debs! So you will have to redownload those. (You could try without
that step, maybe that fixes it too)

If it's a bug in the postinst script all this won't help off course.
Get back to us. :-)

greets,
Wim De Smet