Postfix + SASL problem "no SASL authentication mechanisms"

Hi,

I'm having a problem getting Postfix & SASL to work. I've read some of the archives here and done some extensive googling, read lots of articles and tried lots of things. None of the things I've done have helped or prevented me from getting the "no SASL authentication mechanisms" error.
I have what I believe are the relevant and correct packages installed.

The current status of my system is similar to the one described in this document:

http://www.fatofthelan.com/articles/articles.php?pid=22

I have moved the saslauthd directory from /var/run to the Postfix chroot

The relevant parts of my main.cf are:

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, check_relay_domains

My /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf reads:

pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: plain login

(I notice the problem is the same whether that file is there or not, is it possible it's not being read?)

My /etc/default/saslauthd reads:

START=yes
MECHANISMS="pam"

I can test sasl auth on the command line using `testsaslauthd -u<username> -p<password>` successfully.

I also tried the suggestions from this page:

http://wiki.ev-15.com/debian:mail_system#sasl

With no success.

Could someone tell me more specifically what the error is indicating?

At this point I'm rather confused and annoyed and I'd appreciate any help any one can give me!

Thanks :)

--
Cliph/ff
http://chicks-dig-unix.net/