using cron

Hi, suppose i want to run a backup script daily that zips up some of my configuration files and place it in my home directory.

I created a file named backup, and put a single line command in it

tar -zcvf /home/brandon/backup.tar.gz2 /etc/fstab /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (and other files)

i did a chmod +rwx on it, and placed it in the /etc/cron.daily/ directory.

i tested the script using ./backup and it works as intended

However some days have passed and it hasnt run once yet. what else should i do to make it work?