debian on barebone

Hello,

I'm planning on setting up a new server, and preferrably a barebone,
because of the size. It needs to be a mail/ftp/file server etc. This
won't be a problem.

It will live in my living room, so a few interesting things come to mind:

Video player/recorder. This can be done with MythTV (I guess there are
debian packages avaible?).

Music player. Most barebones have a front display with some buttons, which (in windows) is used to pay music and display some information about the song/album being played. Can I do this with debian/linux?

If anyone has worked with barebones (and gotten the front panel to work), I'd like to hear about which barebones did or didn't work (and how well).

thanx, Walto