Re: I Need Help Getting A Custom Kernel To Boot

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 12:46 pm, Kathy Wills wrote:
> I have been trying for three days now to get my own kernel to boot using
> Debian. I've customized an lot of kernels in the past and don't remember
> ever having this much trouble. Would someone please take a look at what
> I have and tell me what I'm missing. I keep getting a kernel panic when
> I try to boot into my kernel. The stock Debian Kernels boot just fine. A
> copy of my kernel configuration can be seen at
> http://www.brannanorwills.com/kernel-config .

Since you have made custom Debian kernels before, I assume you know that you
probably need to use initrd if you do not compile ext3 support into the
kernel rather than compile a module for ext3.  When I started with Debian, I
had the same problem and it was because I did not use initrd.

When I compile a kernel (I use reiserfs as a module), I compile it like this
after the 'make config' part:

make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --initrd --revision=machinename.01 kernel_image modules_image

I am using GRUB now so it takes care of the initrd lines in my GRUB config.

8)