Re: laptop,dhcp,fixed addresses

On Thursday 14 April 2005 22:20, s. keeling wrote:
> Incoming from Alan Chandler:
> > On Thursday 14 April 2005 16:01, Matt Price wrote:
> > > do you have a trick that somehow avoids such manipulation?
> >
> > is the case here that you are trying to solve?  Are you on a network with
> > no dhcp server?
>
> IIUC, he wants to understand how you ensure you get the same IP
> address from DHCP everytime.  Is your server set up to hand out the
> same IP everytime when it sees your MAC address?

Yes it is, see further up the thread where I post the dhcpd.conf file.  It has
got some lines of the form

fixed-address xxx.home

which causes the dhcp server to look up xxx.home (using the bind stuff I also
posted) and allocate that ip address.

> If that's incorrect, sorry for butting in.  Carry on.

Feel free, the more the merrier:-)

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk