cannot eject or retract cdrom tray anymore

I noticed just a few minutes ago that on my Sarge machine, running 2.6.9 kernel, I cannot eject my cdrom tray anymore. I did not have this problem before. However, ejecting and retracting my cd write still works perfectly.

My cdrom is /dev/hdc (mount point /cdrom) and cd-writer is /dev/hdd (mount point /media/cdrw). Has something changed that now I need cdrom in /media directory?

Here is what happens with cdrom:
$> eject cdrom
eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

Here is what my setup is:
$> ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw----  1 root cdrom 22, 0 2005-04-14 09:46 /dev/hdc
$> cat /etc/fstab | grep hdc
/dev/hdc        /cdrom          auto    ro,user,noauto    0 0

But the strange thing is, if I insert a CD into my cdrom, gnome automatically mounts it and gives an icon on the desktop. I can even umount it and eject it properly from that icon. So here at least it seems to work properly but not on the command line.

->HS
--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.