Re: Can't reach the Gigabit barrier

Le jeudi 14 avril 2005 à 04:13 -0700, Steve Ramage a écrit :
> I have a small server at the specs are as follows
>
> Duron 900
> Gigabyte GA-7ZM
> 512 MB PC133 SDRAM
> 1x 120 GB HDD
> 1x 200 GB HDD
> Two networks cards:
> 1x D-Link DE-528TX (10 Mbps)
> 1x Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop Adapter (1000 Mbps)
> I just added the Intel Pro/1000 adapter, as a replacement to an older
> D-Link DFE-538TX ( 100 Mbps)
>
> Generally I keep most network card drivers as modules, and so I didn't
> need to upgrade my kernel, and am running 2.6.6. I also purchased a
> Linksys EG008W 8 port Gigabit Workgroup (Unmanaged) switch. The problem > is that I can't get anything decent in terms of speed, it seems to only > get up to 100 Mbps, still. Futhermore I get inconsistent information
> from most tools.

That's to be expected in the gigabit range.

> Now before people start saying silly things, first that I have 2 other
> debian machines, but didn't bother buying network cards for them yet, as > there just desktops.

That's just plain silly :)) why mention these machines then ?

> If I run: ping -f -s 60000 172.27.2.27 from the three machines and
> target my Windows machine, the other machine with a 1 Gbps card, I can
> get about 45%, usage out of the network, according to windows, so the
> linksys switch seems to be able to handle it. If I run that just from
> the machine that has the 1 Gbps card, windows says its using about 20%, > which is the same as if I just run the command from the other debian
> machine, thats alot faster, but only has a 100 Mbps card. Futhermore if > I ping flood from my the 1 Gbps box, and then use the other debian
> machine to flood the 1 Gbps box, the traffic seems to cancel out.

I question the accuracy of your ping command. Let me suggest the
following scenario :

apt-get install iftop vsftpd

prepare some very big file on the debian machine and configure vsftp
such as to allow logging in from windoze

launch iftop on a terminal

download your big file from windows (with filezilla for instance) and
watch the iftop output ...

Maybe that will help.

Whenever the literary German dives into a sentence, that is the last you
are going to see of him until he emerges on the other side of his
Atlantic with his verb in his mouth. -- Mark Twain "A Connecticut Yankee
in King Arthur's Court"

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.