Re: Can't su to root as a normal user

Shang Wenbin wrote:
Hi all,

After reinstall my system, I can't su to root now. the error is :
su: Authentication failure
I ensure that I am using the correct password

Any suggestion is appreciate. Thanks

Try to reset the root password.

At the lilo boot prompt type

Linux init=/bin/bash

(where Linux is the name of the "image": the one you see in the menu; if you use grub; adapt the instructions). At the prompt type

mount -o remount rw /
passwd
<type the new password>
umount /

and reboot.

If lilo (or grub) as been configured to disallow this; boot from a CD in rescue state (I think you can boot from the first CD and choose go into console) mount your root partition

mkdir /myrootpart
mount /dev/had<n> /myrootpart (where n refer to your root partition)
chroot myrootpart
passwd
<type the new password>
exit