Debian Sarge on Dell Power Edge 800 freezes

I have a Dell Power Edge 800 with the following build:
   Intel P4 2.8G
   Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet Controller
   Integrated USB 2.0
   1 Gig DDR ram
   Perc Raid Controller
   4 - 73GB SCSI hd's
   SCSI CD-rom
   SCSI DAT 72 Tape drive.

I have Debian Sarge with linux kernel 2.4.27 as the operating system, as any other Linux kernels either can not detect the ethernet controller or can not detect the DAT72 tape drive.

The system has been having problems freezing up in the middle of users working from the server, (and some times when the server has set idle overnight they find it locked up when they com in and have to reboot.) I am running the Mondo-Mindi archive program for backup and did find that the Mindi would lock open the temp files and push the processor to 99% usage. I have since fixed that issue, but still the server freezes up. It is on a Dell APC Smart-UPS so power surges and such are not an issue.

I have looked in all the log files at the times that the server froze, but there is nothing in them that would give an indication of what the issue could be (i.e., what program, etc).

Anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this problem? I am wondering if it has something to do with the new hardware Dell is using in their servers, as I do have another Dell Power Edge 2400 in the field running the same Sarge build, etc, and it never has a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
begin:vcard
fn:Mark Huff