Re: Edit cramfs files or mkinitrd with /boot on raid

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, rds wrote:

> When I build mkinird image, mkinitrd does NOT include create "mdadm -A" record
> for raid1 array that hosts /boot partition. With reference to that:

mkinitrd is a dumb script, useless in my book, but a good start in
creating a initrd tree but not its contents of commands to execute,
since no program can know what commands you want it to execute
for you

> 2) If the above is not possible, how does one edit files hosted in cramfs? I
> tried mounting cramfs and then "cp -a" to another directory where I could edit
> them but it appears that "cp -a" looses some hard links when it copies files
> (even if a destination dir is on the same partition).

you will need to edit the initrd image yourself .. and make the changes
you want

more initrd-howto craziness w/ examples
	http://linux-boot.net/InitRD/

	- pay special attention to the contents of /linuxrc
	and the files inside the (compressed) initrd.img

	why it's not called initrd.gz is another whackyness
	by the various folks creating their custom initrd

c ya
alvin