Re: How much disk space to install Sarge ?

On Tuesday, 12.04.2005 at 15:21 -0500, Brooks R. Robinson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I suppose that depends on what your trying to install.  If want
> everything, you're going ot have to pay for it in terms of space.  I
> recommend starting with a minimal set of packages and moving on.
> You're space issue is probably /var being to small to install
> everything from Apache to X.  The donloaded packages go into
> /var/(somehwere I'm to lazy to look) and are then extracted and
> installed.

With such a small disk, I'd suggest making it only a single partition:
if you make a separate /var, you'll probably run into problems.

And, yes, install the bare minimum during initial installation.  After a
successful installation, you can probably still remove more unused
packages.  Do that before installing any additional ones you want.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org