Kernel 2.6.8 SMP and USB hotplug problems

Hi there,

my system runs under a Debian Sarge 2.6.8-5-686-SMP kernel. I backup my sytem on an external USB HD on a daily base.
For a few weeks now my USB hotplug system gets 'deaf' after a while.
Whatever USB device I connect, nothing happens (messages file doesn't get touched).
After I reboot my system USB hotplug works again.
Looks like some kernel problems for me. But I'm not an expert, so I ask you out there for help.

Does anybody have the same or similar problems and - even more interesting - did you solve it ? If yes, how ??

Thanks for your help,

Rado