Re: OT: Bash Scripting Question

Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Sunday 10 April 2005 11:47 pm, s. keeling wrote:
>>Does anyone still use ftp?  Really?!?

> I do, but we all know I'm self taught and, being self taught, have missed out
> on many of the better and easier ways to do things.

    Better?  For where you have a shell on both sides it's hard to beat scp or
fish for better since the entire thing is secure from end to end.

    Easier?  For anonymous file downloads ftp is still prefered, IMHO, to the
bastardization of http for the same purpose.  The former having years of
programming dedicated to solving common problems the latter often has to have
bolted on after the fact.  Given the choice of an http server or an ftp server
to download something from I try my best to use ftp.