Software raid1 and grub installation

I'll appreciate some help with the following:

Initial setup:
  A working Debian Sarge system with a single HD. HD has 2 partitions: / and
  swap

Goal:
  Replace the HD in the initial setup with 3 new HDs running a combination of
  software RAID1 and RAID5 arrays.

  For this purpose I found this very useful howto
  ( http://juerd.nl/site.plp/debianraid?display=print ) and I followed it
  with some modifications.

What I did:
1. Boot into Knoppix
2. Create raid1 array for new /boot on /dev/md0
   Create raid5 array for new /     on /dev/md1
   Create raid5 array for new /swap on /dev/md2
3. Transfer data from old / partition on the old HD to the new / partition on
   /dev/md1 raid5 array.
4. Modify /newroot/etc/fstad so now it lists /dev/md0,1,2 for /boot, /, /swap
   respectively.
5. Now, as I understand, I need to install grub on HDs that are running the
   /dev/md0 raid array for /boot partition: /dev/hda, /dev/hdb
6. I tried:
   knoppix# mount --bind /proc /newroot/proc
   knoppix# mount --bind /dev /newroot/dev
   knoppix# chroot /newroot
   knoppix:/# grub-install /dev/hda
   Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.

I think this is happening because /newroot/etc/mtab still contains old mappings
from the time when / partition was was hosted on the old HD not raid5. I
probably could manually edit /newroot/etc/mtab but I doubt that's the proper
way. So, I can't boot the system to update mtab because there's no grub there
and I can't install grub because mtab in not correct.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance