Re: debian/xen

On 09 Apr 2005 12:39:49 +0200, David N. Welton <davidw@dedasys.com> wrote:

> [ Please CC replies to me - thanks! ]
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm running 'unstable' and am wondering if it is indeed possible to
> use Xen with Debian via the debian packages.  The .deb's dont' really
> give me much of an indication of what to do in their README's, and I
> see that there are a number of open bugs about kernel patches,
> the lack of 2.0 in Debian, and so on.
>
> Has anyone managed to accomplish this?  Is it perhaps better to just
> download and install it by hand?

I would install the Xen packages from source, especially if you plan
on running the unstable or testing versions of Xen. The binary
packages (from the Xen website) work fine with Debian, too.

Just follow the documentation on the Xen website. If you need to
create a custom dom0 or domU kernel, though, be sure to perform a
'make' in the root source directory first -- otherwise, you'll just
have sparse trees.

--Stephen Le