freeradius and EAP/TLS

I need freeradius with EAP/TLS for authenticating WLAN users.  The
debian package for freeradius is compiled without support for
EAP/TLS.  According to /usr/share/doc/freeradius this is because it
depends on openssl and openssl has some licence issues.  What is the
problem with openssl licence?  The WWW page says apache-style
licence.  Isn't this free software according to debian?

Also, there lots of other packages which depend on openssl and openssl
is part of debian.  So I don't understand that freeradius comes
without EAP/TLS support.  Can't this be changed?

Until then, it seems I have to compile freeradius myself, will go to
the debian manuals now to look up how this is done in debian.

urs